As we’ve become a society of two working parents, it’s all too easy to neglect actually gazing into your child’s mouth to see the health of their teeth and gums. They might complain a little if something is off with their chewing or speaking, therefore pay strong attention to their warning signs. Here’s what to look for:
- Overcrowding of teeth
- Tooth sensitivity to extreme temperatures
- Gums that tend to bleed when brushing
- Bad breath due to bacteria forming too soon after meals
- A loose tooth (baby teeth falling out and making way for a new growth)
- Cracked teeth
- Tongue discoloration
- Teeth that aren’t growing into their proper place
- If wearing braces, how are they fitting and is it time for an adjustment?
It’s a parent’s responsibility to notice any changes in your child’s teeth. Until they have reached an age where they can make dental decisions themselves, the health of their teeth falls directly into the relationship between the parent and your dentist. The care needed for your child is agreed upon between this connection.
The Beneficial Steps For The Child’s Smile
Now that you’ve discovered Dr. Kruger, taking the the next steps as a parent isn’t complicated. What does that mean? There is standard protocol to ensure the child grows up with the most successful oral health possible. Everything depends on their smile. So what does a parent need to do?
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. Kruger as soon as your child’s teeth are forming. An exam, a consultation, and a list of to-dos are mandatory for the success of their smiles.
- Talk to your child about basic teeth cleaning and maintenance, only if they are of the age where they’re able to understand. This helps form a healthier connection between you and your child, and also gives them tools for life.
- Be a role model for excellent oral and dental care. The life lessons they can learn are paramount when they see your actions towards your healthy smile.
Your Child Deserves The Best
While all the care and concern and maintenance may keep cavities at bay, a thorough exam and consultation with Dr. Kruger at either of our locations, Oelwein Dental Associates or West Union Dental Associates in Iowa is your best choice to ensure success. Between his expertise and his team’s understanding of your child’s oral health, you can make certain your worries are out the door. Schedule a visit today and continue the positive journey for your child’s smile.